Monday, June 22, 2009

250 amazing years

No, not my age (and thank you to all those who sent me birthday wishes through Blotanical), but the fanastic history of Kew Gardens. A quarter of a millenium of horticulture, botanical science, research, collecting, educating and entertaining.

Kew are celebrating this milestone in a whole host of ways, but one way in which you can become involved is to visit and to join one of the Kew 250th Anniversary walking Tours. From a history of the Gardens, to the science of conservation; from tours of the labs and the herbarium to the importance of plants in everyday life. The tours are led by volunteer guides who are just waiting to pass on their knowledge to you about the fascinating history and work of Kew Gardens.

One volunteer is Award Winning Blogger Emma Townshend, who also (I hope she doesn't mind me mentioning) has a book out soon. What a year for those with an interest in nature - Kew at 250 and 200 years since the birth of Charles Darwin.

To commemorate these anniversaries, how about planting Rosa Kew Gardens or the absolutely gorgeous scented Rosa Charles Darwin. I saw this rose on the David Austin stand at Gardeners' World Live and it has a fantastic fragrance - recommended!

3 comments:

Martyn Cox said...

Many happy returns to you and Kew.

Joanne said...

As much as I have enjoyed my visits to Kew I find the cost of entry very off putting. In fact it makes it more of an elite place to go.
So I will stick to RHS Wisley for now at least my annual subscription a present from Dad will allow me to go as often as I choose and it is only 15 minutes away.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

I would have loved a tour by Emma T but live to far away to pop over for just a visit.

Happy Birthday to you and Kew!