Friday, May 16, 2008

Lilacs


Thanks to Titania, who commented on my entry on lilac blight. She mentioned the poem 'Lilacs' by Amy Lowell, about whom I was ignorant. It's a lovely poem, which perfectly sums up my feelings towards the lilac flower in this excerpt:

"You are the great flood of our souls
Bursting above the leaf-shapes of our hearts,
You are the smell of all Summers,
The love of wives and children,
The recollection of the gardens of little children..."

The rest of the poem can be found here:

Titania's blog can be found here:


2 comments:

Amy said...

A lovely quote, and so very true :) I have so many happy childhood memories of lilacs and the swallowtail butterflies who love them. My city recently adopted the lilac as it's official flower, and this week will be the very first "lilac festival". Unfortunately, spring is so late that the lilacs aren't in bloom yet!

HappyMouffetard said...

A lilac festival sounds lovely!