Monday, December 08, 2008

Winter roses

I know that roses frequently flower late in the year, but it always amazes me to see their delicate flowers in the dark of winter. What better decoration is there for a Christmas table than a rose freshly cut from the garden?

The rose bows its head when frost comes to it, but buds sheltered from the worst of the weather will ensure there are more flowers to come before the winter festivities end.

Rosa 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles'


Rosa 'Malvern Hills'

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing how these flowers hang on - I'm waiting to note the date when there are no flowers whatsoever in my garden.

chaiselongue said...

Beautiful - I hope you still have some for Christmas! Roses do always seem too luxurious to survive in winter, but they do.

emmat said...

wow!
There will never not be flowers in my garden as I am blessed with many hebes which flower all over the winter. They are just deeply eccentric as far as I can tell.

Anonymous said...

I have some frosty roses too. It is a bit odd to see them as you do think of them as being so delicate. I love cut roses for my table. I need some orange varieties as I seem drawn to that color lately.