Friday, September 04, 2009

I've been tagged

Alice at Bay Area Tendrils has kindly tagged me with a meme, whereby I have to reveal seven interesting facts about myself. That's difficult!

To participate in the Meme Award, you need to:

- link back to the person who gave you the award;
- reveal seven things about yourself;
- choose seven other blogs to nominate and post a link to them
- let each of your choices know that they have been tagged by posting a comment on their blog;
- and finally let the tagger know when your post is up.

So, to the facts...

1. I'm irrationally scared of baked beans, although I have got better as I've got older. I no longer physically recoil when I open an airline breakfast and see the freaky orange bald things sitting there. Strangely, I don't mind the non-baked haricot.

2. I used to ride a motorbike (Yamaha YZF600Thundercat), but gave it up as I got older. I now have an allotment instead.

3. My father used to grow prize-winning dahlias

4. I really don't like long velvet bridesmaid dresses (see my facial expression for confirmation of this). And yes, that is a tree growing out of my head.

5. One of my favourite words is 'archipelago'.

6. One of the most exciting things that has happened to me was watching 'Life on Earth' as a child. It gave me an understanding of my love of nature. I can still remember the excitement of rushing in from playing outside to watch the next episode. It was indescribably exciting to watch it. I can't thank David Attenborough enough for changing my life. Because of him, I went to University - a common enough thing nowadays, but I was the first in my family to go. A big, big thing.


Me studying periwinkles I had found on the beach, aged 3


7. I'm married to a man who thinks it's fun to put plastic baskets etc on his head. It started young, but he still can't resist putting cloches on his head when we go round garden centres.


SomeBeans with natty head decoration


And so, I pass this meme on to the following bloggers. There's no pressure to take part!

1. Joanne - a blog full of beautiful flowers, and information about her battle with Lyme Disease

2. Trisha at Ripplestone Review - flowers, gardens, poetry and politics

3. Nutty Gnome - read about her mammoth garden works - it wears me out just reading about her progress!

4. Rothschild Orchid - more beautiful photos, and say hello to Stilton, Ruler of the Universe

5. Kat Wolfdancer - interesting tales

6. The Galloping Gardener - fascinating garden visits

7. Chaiselongue at Olives and Artichokes - fruit, veg and fantastic recipes.

Thanks to Alice for the tag!

13 comments:

Joanne said...

What a lovely interesting post.

Thank you for the Meme and your kind words. I am honoured and embarrassed because two other people have passed this on to me and I still haven't got round to doing a post although I have some ideas taking form somewhere in my dull brain.

I have been so busy with Lyme awareness catching up on the garden and am so behind with blogs I want to do, as well as enjoying life again, but I will eventually get down to it.

Bay Area Tendrils said...

Dear HM,
My ambivalence at first about participating in the MeMe has been eclipsed as I buzz about the blogsphere to read the current trove of responses: Posts reflecting creativity, humor (humour! to you), and surprisingly at times, heartfelt musings.
Your 7 revelations do not disappoint. To bring this comment back to the MeMeMeMe of the meme,
I feed off the jaunty mindset and wit of blogging cohorts like yourself!

chaiselongue said...

Thanks very much for the tag and the link. I don't want to be a spoil sport, but I don't do these memes and awards. I've really enjoyed your 7 interesting facts and the wonderful pictures - the velvet bridesmaid is a gem! - but, sorry, I won't carry it on - I haven't got nearly enough embarassing photos to illustrate it for a start!

Mary Delle LeBeau said...

Such unusual ways of describing yourself. I really like, especially the one on baked beans.

HappyMouffetard said...

Joanne & Chaiselongue - no problems. I don't often do them myself, no need to explain!
Alice - thanks for the tag. It was fun.
Mary - in for a penny, in for a pound!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Now this was such a cute interesting post Happy !
I love David A. too .. his voice as he does commentary (Planet Earth is my favorite) is perfect .. nature shows were my favorite as a kid and still are .. well scifi is too but having both is perfect ? LOL
Basket-on-the-head hubby is just too darn SWEET ! haha
Joy : )

Frances said...

Hi Happy, at first I was worried that you had a bean problem, what with being married to some of those. Maybe of a different type? And for breakfast? Are you kidding? I think you were a born gardener what with trees sprouting from a young blonde head. Thank goodness that went away for serious periwinkle study. And having plastic headgear must come in very handy when potting up seeds that need protection from roving squirrels and cats.

Frances

Plant Mad Nige said...

That's just the sort of dahlia my father would grow. There used to be women's bathing caps, made of latex with sort of petals on them like that. I think we should revive the fashion. After all, dahlias are back, so why not the hats?

BTW, I still don't understand the meaning of the word 'meme.' Could anyone enlighten? Thanks!

HappyMouffetard said...

Ah, Plant Mad Nige, I remember seeing those hats. They have probably been withdrawn as the weight of floral decoration caused drownings.

'Meme' is a word coined by Richard Dawkins to describe the evolution of cultural ideas etc through a process akin to natural selection. For example, the spread of wearing your baseball cap sideways. On the interweb, it has caught on as something that spreads almost virally through people passing them on, for example on blogs, evolving as they go. LOLcats is another internet meme.

A lot of people don't take part as memes tend to come thick and fast and there's a limit to how many times you can be bothered to blog about them. I do, however, occasionally succumb :-)

Gail said...

That was a fun read! I updated my meme...I fear there are only 6 or 7 interesting things about me and that's that! That is one huge dahlia!
gail

Kat Wolfdancer said...

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! OK< I finally finished it, but as usual, it wasn't done until it was OVERdone, and re-editted and added to , AND ooooopSIED!!

http://wolfdancercreek.blogspot.com/2009/10/ive-been-tagged.html

Thank you, Happy! Lovely read, and nice to get back to writing !

>^,,^<

Luoluo said...

What an entertaining post. Great to read these little stories and to see these lovely photos. I can recognise the features from these cute kids.

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Good morning! Very interesting! I would be happy to wear that red dress. I had nothing like that! The dahlia is fantastic! Do you grow them, too?