Saturday, May 14, 2011

Malvern Spring Gardening Show

It’s the middle of May, so it’s time once again for a visit to the Malvern Spring Gardening Show. Instead of cold winds and winter weather, this year’s show was much warmer (at least on Friday). The recent warm weather meant that some flowers were going over, whilst others we might not expect to see at Malvern were in full bloom.

Plants that people seemed to be buying a lot of this year included Meconopsis and Trollius, as well as heucheras and Lamprocapnos spectabilis (or, the much nicer former name of Dicentra).

Show gardens were good, although many of them seem to have over-dosed on hard landscaping. A lot of focus was put on the challenge of shade-loving plants. I’m not sure this is too much of a challenge – if I was given a garden which consisted solely of moist shade, I think I could happily garden there for a very long time; my favourite border in our current garden is the shady, moist one. Still, if it means we see more Rodgersias in show gardens, then pushing shady gardens is fine with me. Dry shade, however…

I didn’t buy any plants – sacrilege! But I did spend some time trying to understand the show gardens, looking at the use of plants, the different views into each garden, and the ideas which they were expressing – very useful. Gardening is very personal, and there were gardens that I didn’t like, others that I loved, some that challenged, and some that didn’t challenge at all.

I could have happily spent some time in this garden - ‘A garden for life’ by The Graduate Gardeners (gold and best in show).

IMG_8854 IMG_8849 IMG_8852

5 comments:

K said...

Oh it's really pretty, I like the informal planting. Just my type of garden. I ususally get up the Harrogate Spring show, but sadly didn't make it this year x

Helen/patientgardener said...

I bought Trollus!!! Enjoyed the show, bought loads, now trying to find the energy to go and plant it!

@TheFlowerFarmer said...

We bought Gloriosa corms but I can't find them! Have just emptied car out & looked EVERYWHERE - no sign. Heartbroken. Otherwise thought v cheery show. Not particularly unexpected planting in the show gardens - not desp taken withe the dinosaur garden or the sand garden full of olive trees. but as per very cheery and friendly and a lovely show for plant buying.

Janet/Plantaliscious said...

'A Garden for Life' was my favourite too, the only garden I could actually imagine living and working in. I did buy plants too - all now planted and making me very happy. As a first timer I really enjoyed it, particularly the huge number of wonderful plant stands with friendly and knowledgeable people serving. Wonderful change from most Garden Centres.

Shirley said...

Good to see you had good weather for your visit. I do like your garden pick, Happy. I love those chairs :-))

I'm most impressed at your shopping restraint too... not often achieved that. Maybe once... must have been fussy or not feeling well that time ;-)